Tuesday, September 20, 2011

hello world

It seems only fitting that I would have had this first post up earlier today, but I got distracted trying a new(-to-me) Xbox game with a friend. More on Castle Crashers later.

Okay, okay, so Xbox games aren't 8-bit... but this is! Check out the flickr page of a fellow 8-bit NES fan. This guy has taken his fandom to a new, creative level: he's created 696 different 8-bit avatars, which will now serve as my Exhibit A of contemporary NES nostalgia. (Or perhaps Exhibit B, after this blog.) This isn't just love for 8-bit graphics, this is love specific to what our flickr champ soundofdesign calls "standing Mario"--protagonist of the first NES Super Mario Brothers game, pictured at left.

For kicks, here are a few of my favorites. From top to bottom, this is our flickr friend's 8-bit version of Dr. Zoidberg (Futurama), Professor Dumbledore (Harry Potter), Walter Sobchak (The Big Lebowski), and the classic Slimer (Ghostbusters).

692 more found here!

Credit for my stumbling upon this goes to this article, courtesy of The Onion's avclub.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment